1. You should make it out of similar, but cheaper fabric than the fashion fabric.
- I bought 5 meters of real muslin $12.99 per meter when it was on sale for 50% off. Then I washed it. Apparently, if you are going to use the muslin, you shouldn't wash it. Oh, well. But, when sewers talk about making a muslin, it is a euphemism for "TEST GARMENT". (But, you can use muslin--now, I'm just getting complicated.)
- I have found that I should start with a 14 and still do a narrow shoulder adjustment, keep the 14 for the bust and also include a full bust adjustment (FBA) of anywhere to 1/2" to 1.5" depending on the type of fabric. I also include a bigger tummy adjustment, and flat derriere adjustment. Being honest requires a glass of wine--not 2 glasses, or your tummy adjustment will need to be bigger.
- You might also include 1 extra inch at the sides for insurance, but you will feel SOOOO good, when you need to cut these off.
- My husband tries really hard, and is very good at measuring things like roof trusses. Bless him, he is very complimentary, but I really don't like hearing him say, you need to more fabric here, and here. It isn't his fault, but it annoys me hearing it from him. Now, if it was my best fit buddy friend, I'd be appreciative. That is just the way it is.